Sunday 1 December 2013

Yummy Mummy Miss Phoebe Mcvey talks to BikiniBrawn

I think this is going to be a particularly motivating Interview that is going to strike a lot of cords with Mothers and of course Young mothers. I met the lovely Phoebe a couple of weeks back at the Irish Nabba bodybuilding competition in the Olympia and was immediately blown away by how nice and down to earth she was. I was already there cheering on some friends from the crowd but found myself also rooting for Phoebe and was thrilled to see her place. I absolutely love linking with young like minded people who love training and Health so naturally enough i connected up with her on Facebook. I found myself even more impressed with Phoebe's high standard in Bikini Bodybuilding when i found out she had a son, naturally enough wondering how she found the time to juggle everything. Our interview is Honest, Informative and full of personality, you can follow phoebe on Facebook and Instagram which i have linked below. I would absolutely love to hear from readers out there who are mothers and what they thought of this interview . Enjoy x

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name :Phoebe McVey
Age :24
Occupation :hairdresser/hairextensionist
Sports : Bodybuilding, kickboxing
City : Galway

Tell us a silly habit you have : Playing with my hair especially when im stuck in traffic :P
You're all time favourite movie : oh thats a hard one i love comedies any movie that has Will Farrell in it
Starsign : Taurus 
A special memory you hold close to you're heart :
The day my baby boy Kai was born no one can ever explain the feeling of seeing your baby for the first time

Phoebe we are thrilled to get the opportunity to talk to you about all things life and fitness. Have you always grown up fit and Sporty or is it a new avenue for you ? 

Thank you i'm delighted to do a interview with Bikinibrawn.
Ive always been healthy and into fitness. Before i started Bodybuilding i was doing Kick boxing and Muay Thai i loved it but just fell in love with Bodybuilding after attending the Spring classic last year




What is the Fitness and Gym scene like in Galway and would you ever think about moving up to the big smoke to further you're career as a Bikini Competitor and model ? 

I train in The Galway city gym it is one of the best bodybuilding gyms in Ireland and full of amazing people i have such great support in Galway, i started training there around 8 months ago and i couldnt imagine training anywhere else i had huge help and support from Dawid Geler owner of Vitamin shop Galway and founder of Irish Muscle he helped me through my whole prep along with my boyfriend Gerard i couldnt of done it without them and especially with all Davids knowledge i was very lucky and grateful for all his help, through all my prep i trained by myself but everyone in the gym help each other so i always had someone watching over me, I love Galway but if a better opportunity came up for me in Dublin i would have no problem moving but with my work being so busy down here and my boyfriend has just started a career in personal training it would have to be something big to make me move,but id never say never;)

Check out the Vitamin shop on Facebook : 

Also check out Irish Muscle online for the latest updates on Bodybuilding Ireland


You have recently become a member of Team Titan, How did that come about and how do you feel about being part of a team in such a solo sport ? 

I am over the moon to be part of the Titan team i was so delighted to be picked and to be part of a team of such an amazing athletes, i started the Titan Nutrition challenge just a month or so into my prep after seeing it on the Irish Muscle site my boyfriend Gerard was doing it and told me i should do it so i gave it a shot and thank god i did;) Calin owner of Titan Nutrition is amazing i admire him a lot as a person and trainer he has an amazing team and is one hell of a trainer everyone he trains does unreal he knows his stuff
































What does fitness mean to you ?

Fitness is everything its not just about looking good its about feeling good two, i love the feeling after you leave the gym all sweaty and sore even after a hectic day the one place i want to be is the gym its my de-stresser, exercise releases happy endorphin's so everyone should get up and get active there is so much cancer depression and illnesses out there i know exercise wont cure it but it will help and you only have one body why not look after it and be happy with it life is to short.

One of the most admiring things about you Phoebe is that you are also a mum, It is beyond amazing to see you compete at such a high level as well as look after a family. Where do you find the time ?

 I really don't know ha ha my life is so hectic we need to get into a good routine.We are a bit all over the place at the moment trying to juggle my work, my baby, my training my dogs my home its all a bit go go go i rarely get time to chill or time to myself but i know it will be all worth it in a few years and i have a happy healthy baby boy and an amazing  boyfriend family and friends so i am grateful for what i have.






























Do you think having children is an excuse for being in bad shape and what would you say to the mothers out there about getting in shape,motivation and Time management ?

 There is no excuse i am following so many amazing fit mums on Instagram and Facebook and one Ifbb pro has 6 kids and works, so if she can do it i cant see how anyone can have an excuse.I get a lot of mums and women mailing me asking what i eat train ect and i tell them all the same thing just eat healthy and exercise regularly you you don't have to kill yourself in the gym or eat nothing but Turkey all day. Its about having a good balance and knowing your body, obviously if someone asked me about competing it would be a lot more training and a stricter diet but most women and mums out there just want to get into shape and lose a bit of weight, but there all going about it the wrong way all these stupid diet pills shakes drops ect do not work long term just change your outlook on food and exercise and you will get huge rewards, both your body and how you feel.


What would you say to young girls or young women who suffer with self confidence issues related to their bodies?

Well we all have something about ourselves we don't like and i'm one of them. I could pin point a million things about myself and i am sure most women feel the same, but we have to work with what we got. I am a believer in if your not happy with something change it, i'm actually getting breast implants in Avoca Clinic on the 15th of December and ill be doing a blog with Avoca on my journey to and after the surgery. After i breast fed my baby for the first two months i was left with barely anything and then i started weight lifting which made it even worse, i nearly didn't compete because i was so embarrassed about having no boobs, but then i gave myself a kick up the ass and reminder myself about how hard i had worked for my body and to be grateful for what i have and what i have done, everyone has something they don't like so the next time your complaining or feeling low in yourself just remind yourself of all your good assets and work with the looks and the body you have. It doesn't matter if your a size 8 or size 18 everyone should feel good.

What is you're all time favourite healthy dinner Recipe ?

I am very simple a nice chicken breast with loads of garlic and herbs sweet potatoe wedges and broccoli yum





What is you're secret healthy treat or dessert and could you share it with BikiniBrawn ? 

Oh god ive a major sweet tooth i love sweet things so i'm always looking for a healthy recipe or treat. My all time favourite is protein pancakes i am the queen of protein pancakes ha ha so here is the recipe for the best pancake in the world;) 

3 eggs 1 yoke 20grams oats blend together then fry on pan with either frylite or coconut oil until golden each side then get 
15grams of peanut/almond butter and spread evenly then get a sachet of options hot chocolate or any low cal hot chocolate and make a paste out of it adding a drop of water to make paste then pour on top of the pancake it is heaven thing il have to make one now after writing about it;)






























Could you share a fitness secret with our readers maybe one you picked up over the last couple of months ? 

Glute kick backs you can do them anywhere and they work its all about the booty;)

































What would be you're typical food diary for a day ? 

I am trying a new approach to my diet of having high protein fats and low carb and its going great so far.I love my food and always eat every 3 hours or i turn into a bear and i try to drink at least 4 to 5 litres of water a day 

- Breakfast: would usually be 4 eggs with 3 of the yokes
- Snack: would be chicken/turkey breast with 10 almonds
- Lunch: Chicken/turkey stirfry with green veg mushrooms garlic onions ect 
- Snack/Pre workout: Chicken/turkey with broccoli and 10 almonds or cashew nuts 
- During my workout i sip on Vitargo to realease carbs as i train which i get burnt up quicker and it help support my workout and before and after my workout i take bccas and glutamine and i have a protein shake after my workout.
Dinner/post workout: Chicken/turkey/fish/steak with 200grams sweet potatoe with green veg
Snack: Protein pancake or Greek yogurt with scoop of protein powder 20grams of oats

Being a Bikini Bodybuilder how do you deal with the pressures of both competition dieting and training and also being on stage and being judged for you're body ? 

Its hard especially when some body parts you just cant change its a lot to do with your genetics and some are luckier then others, the diet for prep doesn't bother me too much as i am a very determined and driven person so when ive something i want to achieve i wont break.
































Do you think fitness and especially bodybuilding is becoming a new and cool thing here in Ireland and how does it feel to be at the forefront of that ? 

I dont know if im at the Forefront now but im only happy to be a part of such a huge growing sport in Ireland and with Bikini class being so new in Ireland and only running the last 4 to 5 years worldwide its only going to get bigger and there is so much talent for Bikini in Ireland and its great that more girls are getting active and getting healthy its such an amazing sport and when you start you cant stop

Could you give our readers an exercise plan for glutes, because we all want that amazing booty?


Its one of my best and worst assets, as glutes are a muscle that takes time to develop  and only can get it perfect over time hopefully next year il be rocky rock hard glutes;)
I train my glutes every second day i mix my workouts all the time to change it up and hit the muscle group from a difference angle 
5 best booty workouts have to be :
Cable kick backs superset back kick backs with side kick back  3/4 sets 15 reps with 45 sec to min rest between set 
Step ups with 5 to 10 kg on jump box 15/ 20 each leg 3/4 sets 45 to 1 min rest
Sumo squats 3/4 sets of 20 short pulses  to really feel each rep 30/ 45 sec break 
Kickbacks on smith machine 3/4 sets of 15 each leg 45/1 min rest 
Donkey kick backs with ankle weights( lying on all 4s kick each leg back)
3/4 sets of 20 reps each leg 45/1min rest 
































What is you're opinion on sports nutrition, supplement and vitamins ? Do you have a favourite brand and what would you take ?

Supplements play a huge roll and anyone that is into any kind of sport or fitness should be using supplements i am using the MaxWinn range from Titan Nutrition.I use Protein powder Bcaas Glutamine i sometimes use a pre workout if i am feeling tired before the gym and i use vitamins as well of Multivitamin vitamin B vitamin C vitamin D mineral pack CLA(3 times a day)glucosamine 
and fish oils.

What is you're biggest accomplishment to date ? 

Coming second in Nabba 1st in FitEx bikini and overall and coming third in Ribbf it was such a huge achievement i still cant believe i done so well for my first time competing 



































We are huge fans of Phoebe's fitness diaries on Facebook what made you start a facebook diary ?

Ah thank you:) i started it to let others have an insight into my training life etc a lot of people are mailing me for tips and this way i can share everything. I post a lot of my food as i find it hard as well to stay on track and eat healthy so sharing what i eat and train keeps me focused. I am only happy to share my journey with others, there is a lot of people setting up pages on Facebook and i think its great everyone is difference so its great to see what others do.
Check out Phoebe's Fitness diary on Facebook :


Who is you're Fitspiration ? 

I have two many;) Nathalia Melo is one and im lucky got a training posing session with her she is amazing and Andreia Brazier one day id love to have abs like her:)

                   Phoebe with her Hero Nathalia Melo.
For those of you who don't know Nathalia is one of the worlds most successful Bikini Bodybuilders in the WORLD. She is Brazilian and was also crowned Miss Bikini Olympia 2012 
( Which is a big deal ) . She now lives in Northern Ireland with 
her Fiancee Ulster Rugby player Roger Wilson. 


IFBB PRO Nathalia Melo 


WBFF Champion Andrea Brazier 



Lastly when will we see you on stage again and whats the career dream ?
I am Hoping to do the Europeans as i qualified after FitEx and then see what happens after that. I would love to be a Pro but who wouldn't. 


Why not follow Phoebe's journey and also her Photo's 
Instagram :  Phoebz212


If you enjoyed this interview or if you were inspired in anyway leave a comment below ! We want to hear what you think

Kelly D xx




1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually kill fat by eating Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete